Change of name after marriage for Indian women is a common culture. Many women change their first name or surname after getting married as a part of their custom. Though name change after marriage is not a mandatory legal requirement, it is something that you see common in India. Many women in India would apply for name change in their various important documents and records. This includes PAN card, Bank account, aadhaar card and passport etc.
Aadhaar card and PAN card are the two most important identity documents in India that are used more often. Basically, these documents are used for filing the income tax return, availing government subsidies, government schemes, social services, scholarships and to avail many such benefits. An Aadhaar card is a unique identification document (UID) that is made mandatory with a PAN number to file an income tax return. Hence, if there is any change in name due to marriage needs to be effectively updated in every record and in every document to avoid the hassles. Details in your aadhaar need to be up to date. The name change is quite common in India after marriage as brides would be willing to adopt the groom’s surname. In case you are recently married or going to get married and you wish to change your name officially, you need to get it updated in your aadhaar records and also in other documents and records. Updation or correction of the name after marriage can be done in aadhaar card via various methods. Let’s learn about how to change surname in aadhaar card along with the detailed processes involved in the update.
Process for aadhaar card name change after marriage
Updation or correction of the name after marriage in your aadhaar records can be done via both online and offline methods. The online method involves updating the changed name in aadhaar records on the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The offline method involves updating the changed name by visiting the Aadhaar Permanent Enrolment Centres nearest to you. Let’s look at the detailed process of updating name change in aadhaar card.
Process for aadhaar card name change after marriage via online method
If your mobile number is registered in your aadhaar records, there are various online services you can avail as offered by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). You can update or correct your name online in your aadhaar records. Following are the step-by-step process to update your changed name after marriage in your aadhaar card –
- Visit the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Submit a name change request through ‘update aadhaar details online’ option
- You can change your surname or full name by placing the request in the specified format
- Upload a scanned copy of your self-attested documents supporting the name change as approved by the Government of India
- Click on ‘Send OTP’ (one time password). The one-time password (OTP) will be sent on your aadhaar registered mobile number
- Validate and verify the name change or update request online by entering the OTP received on your registered mobile number in the relevant box
- After the validation of request and verification of proof submitted, a confirmation message will be sent on your aadhaar registered mobile number on update/correction of name in the aadhaar records.
The process to change names in the aadhaar records online involves no cost. A name change in the records of aadhaar is allowed twice in lifetime. The third-time name change request is allowed only on an exceptional basis with the terms and conditions applicable. However, the service to update or correct names in the records of aadhaar online is currently unavailable which may again be made available in future…..Read More>>