Indian Railways had revamped its online ticketing site to enhance user experience. Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) new next generation e-ticketing system has many user-friendly features which weren’t there earlier.
The launch of the next generation e-ticketing system (NGeT) has improved accessibility and enhanced the overall experience of e-ticketing. The IRCTC has over 6 crore registered users and lakhs of tickets are booked every day using the site. E-ticketing today constitutes about two-thirds of total reserved tickets on Indian Railways. Below are the 11 key features of the IRCTC website:
* In the new user interface, the user can enquire/search trains and check the availability of a seat without login.
* A user can also change font size throughout the website.
* A user can predict the chance of waitlist or RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation) ticket getting confirmed on the basis of historical booking trends.
* Enhanced ‘Vikalp’ feature provides user the option of choosing alternate accommodation in case of waitlist tickets in different trains including specials.
* The user can manage the payment option by marking six banks as preferred banks.
* On completion of payment, the details of booking shall be displayed in a user-friendly manner.
* Different filters as per departure/arrival time, class, train and quota have been provided for facilitating journey planning.
* It can be used on multiple mobile platforms without any problem.
* The new user interface also facilitates seamless navigation in mobiles, desktops, laptops and tablets.
* There is a number of additional features such as filters on ‘My Transactions’ where user can view booked tickets based on journey date, booking date, upcoming journey and completed the journey.
* Single screen information about the train including the train number, train name, originating and destination station and distances between them, arrival and departure time and journey time has now been arranged.
Not only its website, the IRCTC mobile app – IRCTC Rail Connect’ app is equally being widely used by the Indian Railways passengers for booking train tickets. A registered IRCTC user can book tickets using the app as well.